Sunday, May 11, 2008

In honor of . . . my mother

MOM - Ilene Marie Daly
Today is Mother's Day - - a wonderful day to celebrate having a mom and being a mom - - however a part of me is sad and lonely. After losing my mom to a horrible, ugly, and debilitating lung disease almost four years ago, Mother's Day has brought a whole new meaning to my life. I'm very blessed to have had my mom as an example of motherhood. Because of her, I am who I am today. My mom was the purest definition of unconditional love. Mom was a pillar of strength and hope. Because of Mom, our home always filled with dreams and determination. On her knees, we were daily bathed in prayers.

As I reflect back across the years, I see myself on my mother's knee and I feel her gentle hand guiding me ~ restraining my selfish moods, my blind sense of wrong and pain. I hear her uplifting and encouraging words. I see the smile on her face. I feel the love from her heart. Truly, Mom is the wind beneath my wings.
Isn't it true that a mother holds their children's hands for awhile, but their hearts for a lifetime. My only hope is that Jonathan and Julia will one day look back and remember a mother who prayed for them, a mother with time to listen and share with them, and a mom with loving arms to show how much I cared! I hope they will remember me as a "joy bringer", a "memory maker", and a "heart warmer", like I remember my mom! I love you, Mom, and I miss you more than ever!! MOTHER is a special word for LOVE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a shock to open your blog and find a pic of mom. But what a wonderful tribute! I only wish I could have been there as you were writing it. Miss you more that you know. K

pwdrd donuts said...

This is so special. Julia and Jonathan WILL. Blessings to you Kim.