Saturday, August 28, 2010

2010-11

Summer is coming to an end, and our 2010-2011 school year is gearing up.  As I reflect on the past two months of summer, I'm reminded of many happy memories.  My heart and mind will never forget the two beautiful weddings uniting Jonathan and Sarah, and Julia and Adam.  We are so blessed.

As I mentally prepare for the new school year, I'm reminded how excited and nervous my new students come into the classroom. It's my mission and pledge to create a warm and loving environment for them to pass through their 4th grade year.   A lot has been written and researched about the power of positive and negative words, moments, and interactions. 

When I read the article, The Magic Ratio of Positive and Negative Moments by Patsi Krakoff I couldn't help but think of the students in my classroom. How many of our children come to school each day with their 'buckets' empty? What can I do to not only fill their buckets, but provide them with an environment that provides the Magic Ratio of 5:1 -- five positives to one negative interaction.

I want to be positive and encouraging...I want to be a 'bucket filler', and I want to be the teacher my students look back on and know how much I cared about them.  I don't want to be a 'should-of, could-of, would-of, teacher.  

I'm off to a great 2010-2011 school year! Wish me luck.  :)

2 comments:

conniejo said...

Kim, you are a "BUCKET FILLER" already. You are the most positive, motivating and caring teacher/person I know! Any child that enters your fourth grade classroom is blessed.
I feel so blessed to have you in my life!
Love you girlfriend,

Denise said...

If only all teachers where like you. You make a difference in your students life.

That is a great family picture. I feel so bad about the rest of you pictures.